What: Editors BC professional development seminar
When: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Where: Room 476, 4th floor, BCIT Downtown Campus, 555 Seymour Street, Vancouver | map
Cost: $165 for Editors Canada members ($135 early bird), $230 for non-members ($200 early bird), and $100 for student affiliates. Advance registration required. Registration closes February 19; early-bird rates are in effect through February 5.
Reports, policies, briefings, emails, and other informational documents have a simple goal: to deliver a message quickly and clearly to a target audience. But too often that message gets buried by weak organization, unnecessary detail, abstract language, unhelpful layout, and other barriers to readability.
This workshop will show you how to create and edit documents that meet readers’ needs and get the message across every time. Topics include
- writing faster and better: a four-step process
- understanding what your readers want (and don’t want)
- organizing information to meet readers’ needs
- highlighting your key messages
- using layout to boost readability
- making your ideas flow
- eliminating wordiness, abstractions, and jargon
- revising and proofreading your work