Love history, the English language, surreal comedy, and voice-over artists with Oxford English accents? Check out “The History of English in Ten Minutes”; it’s 1,600 years of language history, crammed into ten one-minute tracks.
- Anglo-Saxon (Whatever happened to the Jutes?)
- The Norman Conquest (Excuse my English)
- Shakespeare (A plaque on both his houses)
- The King James Bible (Let there be light reading)
- The English of Science (How to speak with gravity)
- English and Empire (The sun never sets on the English language)
- The Age of the Dictionary (The definition of a hopeless task)
- American English (Not English but somewhere in the ballpark)
- Internet English (Language reverts to type)
- Global English (Whose language is it anyway?)
© The Open University; also licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0: UK: England & Wales.
YouTube compilation: OUlearn (Learn with The Open University YouTube channel).
Voice-over: Clive Anderson.