When: 7:30 to 9:00 pm on the following Tuesdays:
Online via Zoom
Are you thinking about writing this year’s Editors Canada stylistic editing certification exam in November? Whether you’re committed or undecided, join editing colleagues from across the province to work through the Editors Canada study materials in a confidential and supportive environment.
The Editors BC Stylistic Editing Study Group will meet every two weeks on Zoom to discuss the exercises, share knowledge and skills, provide accountability, and foster confidence to write the certification exam.
Iva Cheung will facilitate the sessions, but note that this study group is not a course, and the facilitator will not teach stylistic editing skills. It’s expected that participants have advanced knowledge of and extensive experience with the subject matter and can mentor one another as they work through the study materials. Editors BC cannot guarantee that participants will pass the exam.
You are welcome to join if:
- You are an Editors Canada member.
- You are planning to write the stylistic editing exam in November or you are interested in working through Meeting Professional Editorial Standards (MPES) for stylistic editing to assess whether you are ready to write the exam.
- You have extensive experience with stylistic editing and editing in general.
- You can commit to completing exercises and readings according to the schedule.
- You are comfortable using Zoom and Google Drive, or you are willing to learn to use these platforms.
To participate, you will need:
- Professional Editorial Standards (2016)—download for free from Editors Canada.
- Stylistic Editing: Meeting Professional Editorial Standards 2nd ed. (2011)—purchase online from Editors Canada (see: https://www.editors.ca/publications/meeting-professional-editorial-standards).
- Stylistic Editing Test Preparation Guide (the certification practice exam)—purchase online from Editors Canada (see: https://www.editors.ca/publications/certification-test-preparation-guides).
- A high-speed Internet connection.
- Basic reference books and style manuals that you will use for the exam.
Iva Cheung (ivacheung.com) is a Certified Professional Editor, indexer, publishing consultant, and health communication researcher. She has won Editors Canada’s Tom Fairley Award for Editorial Excellence, President’s Award for Volunteer Service, and Karen Virag Award for promoting the editing profession. She served on the Certification Steering Committee and Credential Maintenance Subcommittee and has set and invigilated certification exams.
Image credit: Pixabay