Editors BC is seeking people interested in serving on the branch executive.
Thanks to the hard work of the branch executive and other volunteers, we’ve been able to provide local members with monthly meetings, professional development seminars, and engaging articles on the West Coast Editor blog. We’ve also participated in events, such as Blue Pencil sessions at Word Vancouver and the Vancouver Public Library, that raise awareness of the value of working with a professional editor. We’ve done all this in a way that maintains the financial health of the branch.
For the 2021–2022 year, which starts in July, we’re seeking people for the positions listed below. Executive meetings will be held online for the near future and then we plan to move to a hybrid (online/in-person) meeting format. We strongly encourage members throughout the province to join the executive.
The executive meets monthly, usually for an hour, from August until May. However, we hold at least two longer meetings (2–3 hours), usually in January and April.
Please note that our student affiliates are welcome to hold any position below except for co-secretary. Editors Canada bylaws limit that position to members only.
Program co-chairs (ideally two people)
- Arrange and host the program for eight general meetings each year, from September to November, and from January to May
(These meetings will be held online via Zoom for the 2021–2022 year.)
- Handle all aspects of the meetings, including purchasing and providing honoraria for presenters
- Ensure the Monthly Meetings page of the website is up to date and notify the webmaster of any changes
Note: The current program chairs have developed a list of potential topics and speakers for the upcoming year as a starting point for anyone taking over this position.
Professional development co-chair (one person)
Working with current co-chair Letitia Henville, the new co-chair will:
- Plan a series of varied and stimulating seminars that appeal to both new and experienced editors, considering member feedback and in consultation with the branch executive
- Book presenters for seminars
(Note that seminars will be held online via Zoom for the 2021–2022 year.)
- Maintain communication with seminar presenters to ensure seminar content and materials are appropriate for the expected audience
- Coordinate publicity for all events
Volunteer coordinator (one person)
- Manage calls for volunteers as required
- Manage volunteer page on Editors.ca website, in conjunction with the webmaster
- Manage volunteer database
- Liaise with new potential volunteers about existing opportunities
- Work with the executive committee to find the best fit for volunteers
- Keep volunteers informed about expenses, benefits, any opportunities that might arise, and anything else of relevance
Co-secretary (new position; one person)
We invite people to join the executive as a co-secretary, sharing the role alongside current secretary Lynn Sackville.
- Attend executive meetings to take, transcribe, and email draft minutes to all executive members for review and feedback, and then apply corrections as necessary
- Act as branch archivists, maintaining documents in Google Workspace
- Update the Editors BC Executive Handbook as required
- Coordinate any executive voting done by email
If you are interested in joining the Editors BC executive or if you have any additional questions, please contact branch chair Liz Warwick at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 7, 2021.