What: Editors BC professional development seminar
When: Four Tuesdays, February 9, 16, 23, and March 2, 2021, 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm
Where: Online through Zoom
Cost: $140 for Editors Canada members ($110 early bird), $195 for non-members ($165 early bird), and $70 for student affiliates. Advance registration required. Registration closes February 5, 2021, at 11:59 pm; early-bird rates are in effect through January 19, 2021.
As a freelancer, your network is one of the most valuable tools in your marketing toolkit. Many of your jobs and potential clients will come via referrals from people you know, both personally and professionally. But how do you grow your network? How do you reach out to let people know you’re looking for clients without feeling awkward about it? How do you market your business effectively while still taking on client projects?
This seminar is designed to give you tools to effectively grow your network and to use your network to build your client base.
In these sessions we will explore how to:
- Talk to others about what you do
- Develop a networking plan
- Approach your contacts to let them know you’re available for work
- Use social media to market yourself
- Communicate with potential clients
- Write letters of introduction
- Build an effective LinkedIn profile
- Grow your network
- Identify people who can introduce you to the people you want to work with
- Develop connections with your target clients
- Network as an introvert (yes, it’s possible to do!)
Heidi Turner has been a freelance writer and editor since 2006. She specializes in writing and editing for clients in the legal, medical technology, and financial industries. Heidi is also an instructor in SFU’s Editing Certificate program. She is passionate about helping other freelancers build their ideal career, and she runs the Vancouver Writing Jobs blog, a free job board that lists writing and editing jobs and contracts in the Vancouver area.